18 July 2011

A quick, prose-filled five

I have some flyer designing I need to do for my client/girlfriend, but I wanted to remind my blossoming audience that I care about you too. Here are five readables that you can turn to when Duck for Comfort isn't enough*. 

514:  The Quaid Conspiracy: I don't want to give anything away, but if you have been wondering what Randy Quaid has been up to, you will be appalled to find out in this piece from Vanity Fair.

513: Mr. Hannah Montana's Achy Broken Heart: Billy Ray Cyrus tells GQ that "the Missouri compromise" is his favorite nickname for the mullet, and complains about everything else in his life in this rather revealing profile of the man.

512: The last ride of Cowboy Bob: If you don't know already, Texas Monthly tells some of the best stories of any magazine around, and this story about a middle-aged woman who robbed a bunch of  banks is a fine example.

511: Moby Duck: Or the Synthetic Wilderness of Childhood: This Harper's article is unlike any magazine piece I have read. It revolves around a lost shipment of plastic toys and spins off in every direction one might conceivably go from there.

510: A Silvio Berlusconi-two-for-one to finish things off. Basta Bunga Bunga: a color-filled romp through the political circus and social circles of Italy's premiere, published in the New Yorker. The Mussolini of Ass: a brillianty titled and seriously cynical profile of the "self-appointed dictator of macho hedonistic unprosecutable pleasure," published in GQ.

* Thanks to longform.org for aiding in my discovery of all of these articles.


No comments:

Post a Comment