21 July 2011

Taking lemons and making them fly

My buddy Khinzaw has been laid up in a Chinese hospital 20 minutes from my house for the past week waiting for the pain related to his condition to subside so the Chinese doctors can do surgery and he can begin a week of bed-ridden recovery at his house. I will only say that his major malfuntion loosely rhymes with asteroid and was caused by a poor diet and endless hours sitting on air-conditioner-cooled fake leather chairs in the newsroom.

The Zaw basking in the glow of not having an unbearable pain-in-the-ass.

Uncle Khinzaw has a baby boy back in Burma but makes his home in Phnom Penh due to preferable pay rates for newspaper designers in the Kingdom and decisions made by his boss, Publisher Ross Dunkley, who in the past few months spent 47 days in Myanmar's Insein Prison, was convicted of causing minor injuries to a Myanmar woman and sentenced to 30 days in prison, which he had already served and ultimately "walked from court a free man," as his newspaper in Cambodia  reported on July 1.

“The doctor called to to give evidence said this could have been caused by anything,” Dunkley said after the verdict was handed down. "The girl wanted to withdraw the case twice. I absolutely deny that I touched this girl inappropriately. I was merely looking after this girl to get her to a taxi. I was worried about her, that’s all. I don’t hurt people. I don’t grab them by the neck or do anything stupid like that. Ever-yone knows I don’t do that. Many people have known me for a long, long time, all of my staff, they know that I’m not capable of doing such an act, so therefore I will appeal it.I will appeal this and hope to win it as time goes by.” Photo: Kaung Htet
 That was a tangent. The point is that my dear friend Khinzaw is in rough shape at the moment and everyone is pretty concerned. I have been visiting him, on average, once every 1.75 days, and during our most recent rendezvous, he proved without question that his frail state is not stifling his creative mind. Khinzaw was my Adobe Design Master when I was learning the ropes of 2-dimensional design, but he never exposed his skills working in the 3rd dimension. This little gem was resting next to his bed yesterday, and discovering it was the highlight of my week. 

"Air Coca Cola." Sorry for the poor photo quality and editing. Just take in the ingenuity and realize that the front propeller spins like a perfect pinwheel. All made from a Coke can and borrowed tools from his abnormally attentive nurse.

Call that #503 on the list. Come back often for updates on Uncle Khinzaw's condition. Surgery on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment